What type of Financial Aid can I receive at RIVEROAK?
RTC offers two types of federally funded financial aid - Pell Grant and Work Study.  Some agencies which sponsor students such as the Workforce Development Board, may also require that the student submit the federal financial aid application.  Other types of financial aid are also available. For more information on Financial Aid please see RTC's Financial Aid Coordinator. Return to Top
Can I take my GED® Test at RTC?
RIVEROAK Technical College is an approved GED® Testing Center.  Tests are administered every Wednesday.  To register for the GED® test, go online to GED.com. You must be registered at least 24 hours before testing date. Return to Top
Will there be a counselor at RTC for me?
A guidance counselor helps students and prospective students with academic or personal problems.  Students returning to school who experience any anxiety or have to make difficult decisions may use all of the counseling services available.  These include vocational guidance, career information, assistance with academic and study problems, specialized testing, and personal counseling.  A counselor works with students in a confidential relationship to explore aspirations, aptitudes, interest, and to help with special problems. See RTC's Financial Aid Coordinator in Student Services for more information. Return to Top
Is there a dress code at RTC?
Students are expected to dress appropriately for the occupation in which they are training.  Dress and general grooming shall be consistent with the highest possible standards.  Bare midriff, see-through clothing, halters, tube tops, tank tops, backless dresses/tops, biker shorts, and loose pants/shorts that fall below the natural waistline are examples of unacceptable appearance and dress.  Shop classes may require work boots.  Dresses/skirts are to be no shorter than three inches above the knee.  Shorts can be no shorter than the longest finger when hand is at rest by student’s side.  Clothing with words/phrases, symbols, pictures, patches, or insignia which are offensive, obscene, profane, or alcohol/drug related are prohibited. Most programs have additional dress code requirements.  Students not in compliance with the dress code will be required to leave campus. Return to Top
I changed addresses, what do I do to stay informed at RTC?

It is the responsibility of the student to notify Student Services of a change of address or other demographic information such as marital status or phone number.  Students eligible for PELL Grant refunds will be notified by first class mail.

Return to Top
What is RTC's cell phone policy?
Wireless communication devices (cell phones) may be brought to school under the following conditions:

¨ Cell phones must be turned off during class time and remain out of sight and kept secure.

¨ Cell phone use must be limited to between classes.

The principal shall have full authority to regulate the use of

wireless communication devices (cell phones) on school campus. 

Refer to School Board Policy 5.101.


At no time shall RIVEROAK Technical College be responsible for theft, loss or damage to cell phones or other electronic devices brought onto its property.

Return to Top
How do I report bullying?
It is the policy of the Suwannee County School District that all students and school employees have an educational setting that is safe, secure, and free from harassment and bullying of any kind.  The District will not tolerate bullying and harassment of any type.  Reporting Bullying:  The school principal or their designee shall receive complaints alleging violation of this policy.  School employees are required to report alleged violation of this policy.  Students, parents, volunteers, etc. are encouraged to report any act that may be a violation of this policy either anonymously or in person to the principal or designee. Return to Top
Does RTC work with those who have a physical or mental disability?

RIVEROAK Technical College complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) which protects United States citizens who possess physical or mental disabilities. The centers also comply with Section 504 of the Vocational Rehabilitation Act Amendments of 1973 which states that “no otherwise qualified handicapped individual in the United States shall, solely by reason of his/her handicap, be excluded from the participation in, be denied the benefit of, or be subjected to discrimination under any program or activity receiving federal financial assistance.” Reasonable accommodations will be provided for students with documented special needs.

Disability Services

As Equal Access/Equal Opportunity institutions, RIVEROAK Technical College assures students with disabilities equal access to all programs, activities and services, as described in Section 504 and 508 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).  Specialized services and counseling are provided by trained staff.  Course content will be made available in an accessible format upon request for students with a documented disability.  Students making this request should consult with the counselor at the beginning of the term, preferably not later than the end of the first week.

Return to Top
How do I purchase textbooks?

The book store is located in the Student Services office.  Adults must purchase the required texts.  Textbooks and supplies may be purchased during specified hours in the Student Services office.  Adult student textbooks and kits may not be returned if the student withdraws from school.

Books and some supplies are provided for high school students by the Suwannee County School Board.  In some programs, the secondary students may also have to purchase lab kits and pay lab use fees.

Return to Top
What do I need to prove Florida Residency?



1.  The documents must include at least one of the following:
a.  A Florida voter's registration card.
b.  A Florida driver's license.
c.  A State of Florida identification card.
d.  A Florida vehicle registration.
e.  Proof of a permanent home in Florida which is occupied as a primary residence by the individual or by the individual's parent if the individual is a dependent child.
f.  Proof of a homestead exemption in Florida.
g.  Transcripts from a Florida high school for multiple years if the Florida high school diploma or GED® was earned within the last 12 months.
h.  Proof of permanent full-time employment in Florida for at least 30 hours per week for a 12-month period.

2.  The documents may include one or more of the following:
a.  A declaration of domicile in Florida.
b.  A Florida professional or occupational license.
c.  Florida incorporation.
d.  A document evidencing family ties in Florida.
e.  Proof of membership in a Florida-based charitable or professional organization.
Other Evidence:
Rent Receipts
Tax Returns
Home Mortgages
Location of Bank Accounts with name and Address
Financial Aid Admission Application from previous years
Employment Documents
Student Loan Notes
Need Analysis Documents
Utility Receipts
Florida State Identification

Return to Top
Does RTC offer Community Education classes?
Community Education classes are developed and offered on an "as needed" basis. These classes are typically offered Monday thru Thursday evenings from 5:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. or 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.  Some classes may be offered or scheduled on Saturdays.

Community Education classes are personal enrichment courses.  These courses do not receive credit hours and are not eligible for Financial Aid.

When someone inquiries about a community education class, his/her name is put on a list.  When there are enough names on the list (there must be 10-15 students per class) the people on the list will be notified and the class will be offered. 

RTC would like to serve your business needs.  Please contact us for classes catering to specific training for your employees.

If you are interested in these or any other classes, please call (386) 647-4202.
Return to Top
Where can I park at RTC?

All vehicles must display a valid parking permit. Students must park in designated student parking areas. Students may not park in unauthorized areas or in the shop compound without instructor or administrative permission. Adult parking permits may be purchased from Student Services for $1.00 for the entire school year. No parking permits will be issued to high school students taking less than two periods per semester. High school parking permits may be purchased for $10.00 per year. Vehicles without permits will be issued a $5.00 fine per incident. 

Return to Top